How to make Punjabi Chana Masala Dhaba Style – Ok I have to get this off my chest. I have seen so many recipe’s on the internet of Punjabi Chana Masala where they just put everything in the cooker and produce a yellow / reddish looking curry at the end. PLEASE STOP Doing this!
Chana Masala as the name suggests is Chana / Chickpea in a spicy and tangy Masala. There are a lot of ways to make Chana masala but the end color of the dish should be dark brown or Black in color.
Try this Chana Masala Recipe with our Bhatura for Best Combination!
Punjabi Chana Masala ~ Dhaba Style !!
- Kabuli Chana / Chick Peas - 2 Cups Soaked 6 hrs
- Cinnamon Stick - 1
- Cloves - 6
- Black Cardamon - 3
- Black Tea - 2 Tsp
- Dried Amla - 6 Pieces
- Salt - 2 Tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/2 Tsp
- Water - 2 Cups
- Coriander Powder - 3 Tbsp
- Ginger Powder - 1.5 Tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 2 Tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 Tbsp
- Aamchur / Dried Mango Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 Tsp
- Salt - 1 Tsp
- Ghee - 3 Tbsp
- Hing / Asafoetida
- Onion - 1 Big
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Green Chilies - 5
- Yogurt / Curd Strained- 1/2 Cup
- Tomato Puree - 1 Cup
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Tbsp
- Kasoori Methi / Dried Fenugreek Leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Cup
- In a Pressure cooker, Add Chana (Soaked for 6 hours in water).
- In a cotton muslin cloth bag add Cinnamon Stick, Cloves, Black Cardamom, Black Tea, Dried Amla.
- Close the bag and add to pressure cooker.
- Add Baking Soda, Salt, Water to the cooker and mix everything well.
- Close the cooker lid, On Low - Med flame cook for 6 whistles. Do not depressurize the cooker.
- In between the whistles, lift the cooker and shake gently so that the ingredients inside move around and Chana doesn't get burnt on the bottom.
- Mix all the spices listed in Spice mix ingredients and keep aside.
- In a chef's pan on Med- High flame, Add Ghee, Hing and Onion. Cook till Onions turn pink.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste. Cook till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic disappears.
- Add the Spice Mix. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Strained Yogurt. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Yogurt should be properly cooked.
- Add Pureed Tomato's. Mix well. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, till the raw taste of tomato's is gone.
- Remove the Lid, Add salt and water. Mix well. Cover the pan with a lid again and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes on Med - Low flame.
- Open the Pressure cooker and Move the Chana to the pan.
- Add Green Chillies, Julienned Ginger, Kasoori Methi and Mix well.
- Garnish with Slit Green Chillies, Julienned Ginger and Cilantro.